Maca is ancient super food of the Incas. Also known as Lepidium Meyenii, maca is a radish-like tuber similar to a turnip in size and colour. It is a native root from the Andes Mountains in South America. This strong and hardy root has been a traditional food and medicine plant used by the people of the Peruvian regions for over 2,000 years. It is considered to be an adaptogen, which means that it works with your body’s own biochemistry. An adaptogen is basically a substance that helps your body adapt to particular stress.
Maca is used as a food and a healing aid because it provides such a high nutritional content. According to doctors and psychiatrics David Mischoulon and Jerrold F. Rosenbaum, maca root contains a high content of natural amino acids, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron, iodine, vitamin B-1, B-2, B-12 and vitamins C and E, among many other nutrients.
These are some of the contents that make maca to be considered a nutritional powerhouse.
It is well known and rejoiced for its super-tonic effects, energy-instilling properties and supremely nutritious attributes that help to provide strength and endurance for physical activity at these high elevations.
There are three main types of maca that are distinguishable by the colour of the root when it is harvested: yellow maca, red maca, and black maca. 80% of the maca crop is usually yellow maca and the other 20% is a combination of red and black. Each of these maca varieties offers slightly different effects and health benefits.
Interestingly, when you buy the red, yellow or black root they are all pretty much the same in colour with just slight shade variation.
Black maca powder is produced with 100% black coloured maca roots. Studies have demonstrated that the black maca is the most beneficial maca variant regarding endurance, muscle building, mental focus and male libido.
About 60% of all the maca roots harvested yearly are yellow coloured. Yellow maca is the most popular and inexpensive version of maca. Although this type does not contains all the unique properties of the red or black maca, the yellow maca still delivers great benefits as boosting energy levels, supporting weight loss, enhancing concentration and balancing hormones.
On the other hand, researches have shown that red maca has the highest phytonutrient levels of all varieties. This is the most effective type when it comes to general for female fertility, hormone balancing, bones and prostate health. Also, this is the sweetest tasting one of all types of maca.
Maca root has a number of benefits to the body. With maca added to your daily intake, you can enjoy plenty of benefits from this powerful superfood.
Maca helps you to effectively deal with all kinds of stress. Adding maca to the diet increases the oxygen levels in your blood. This benefit can for example, decrease the environmental stress of altitude sickness. When your oxygen levels are low in your blood, you tend to feel tired and have a lack of energy. Combined with cacao the effects of maca on a healthy oxygen flow are particularly strong and can decrease the symptoms of altitude sickness in less than an hour.
This superfood is an adaptogen, which means that it provides your body with more effective energy. If you already have enough energy, maca will not over-stimulate your energy flow, so you won’t suffer from insomnia or run around like an Energizer bunny the whole day! You will feel refreshed and healthy, benefiting from the other positive effects of maca.
Maca is known to increase libido levels mainly in men and doesn’t interfere with the sex hormone count. Maca works on the master gland in the brain, which is the hypothalamus. This master gland is the sex-hormone centre of the brain, which when stimulated secretes testosterone, progesterone and DHEA. So, when your sex-hormones get stimulated, your libido levels rise and your depression levels lowers. Maca also improves seminal volume, sperm motility and sperm count, which then creates a great sexual desire.
For women, this powerful superfood is filled with many nutrients, amino acids and fatty acids, which increases fertility. So, when women are conceiving, maca is the best superfood to add to your diet. The best is that maca is still very important after birth, because it contributes to more and healthier breast milk for your child’s vitality.
Of course, there are plenty more benefits of maca.
But, if you suffer from stress, malnutrition, depression, menstrual disorders, tuberculosis, or poor memory, you can find peace in the knowledge that you have a chance to be healed naturally, thanks to maca. Imagine living 10,000 years ago. Before doctors and prescription drugs that tend to treat symptoms only, people only lived and healed from nature itself. They were the healthiest people; generally living long and happy lives.
Just add maca to your diet today and eliminate future trips to the doctor.